Why should I wear protective eyewear?
European directive 89/656 makes the wearing of eye or facial protection compulsory for:
• Welding, sanding and cutting work
• Drilling and chiselling
• Handling nail guns
• Using machines which remove shavings when processing materials, producing short chips
• Stamping work
• Removal and fragmentation of shards
• Working with jets of abrasive granules
• Handling acid and alkaline products, disinfectants and corrosive detergents
• Handling liquid spray equipment
• Handling molten metal and working in proximity to it
• Activities in environments with radiant heat
• Laser work
In France, 11 485 periods of sick leave recorded in 2013 including 70 permanent stoppages related to eye injuries.
The two main causes of eye accidents are lack of protection and inadequate protection but 90% of eye injuries can be avoided by using suitable glasses and shields!
Source : Study 2014-245-CTN - CNAMTS - November 2014 concerning accidents at work in 2013